September 25, 2011

Beef Enchiladas

We are a family that loves Mexican food. Craves Mexican food more like it . It's not something I make. There are many restaurants nearby for when those cravings hit. However, when we go out to eat the bill is easily $50 for an appetizer, two entrees, and a kids meal with drinks. Not friendly on the budget at all.


Why did I decide to finally make Beef Enchiladas? I needed to make my September Secret Recipe Club entry. The recipe I selected was Sopapillas. A classic Mexican dessert. Needing a dinner idea Beef Enchiladas with chili sauce it was.

After searching the Internet I found just the recipe that would suit everyone's tastes. Evil Shenanigans had the perfect recipe. These Beef Enchiladas will now make it's way into the dinner rotation. This dinner is simple to put together and makes a lot which is perfect for a couple night's worth of dinner. Leftovers to the rescue for those nights you don't have the energy to cook.

Makes 12 enchiladas

Stars of the Show for the Beef Filling:
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 yellow onion, diced - I used 1/2 tbsp onion powder.
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp coriander - Omitted this since the grocery store was all out.
  • 2 tap smoked paprika
  • 1 can tomatoes with green chiles, drained
  • 1 cup chili con carne - Check out the homemade version. I cheated and used canned.
  • salt and pepper
And Action:

In a large skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.  Once heated add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Add the tomatoes with green chiles, cumin, coriander, and paprika. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the ground beef and cook until well browned. Season with salt and pepper then add the chili con carne. Cook for 5 minutes.

Stars of the Show for Assembling the Enchiladas:
  • 12 corn tortillas - I used flour tortillas. My corn tortillas kept ripping. Frustrated I turned to flour. Tasted fantastic to us.
  • 6 cups chili con carne
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese - I used a Mexican four cheese blend.
  • beef enchilada filling, recipe above
And Action:

Heat oven to 400 degrees and spray a large deep pan with cooking spray.

Heat the chili con carne in a heavy pot until it simmers. Reduce the heat to low and cover. (I skipped this step since I was using canned. It was room temperature and I knew the oven would do the work of heating it up.)

Wrap the tortillas in a towel and microwave for 30 seconds, then flip them over and microwave for 20 seconds more. You want them warm, but not steamy hot.

Pour 1/2 cup of the chili into the prepared dish.

Dip each heated tortilla in the chili, then fill with the beef mixture. Roll the tortillas into a tube shape and place in the dish. (I also skipped the step of dipping the tortillas in the chili. I figured they'd get covered with the remaining chili con carne and they did. Worked perfectly.)

Pour over the remaining chili con carne and top with the cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

4 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I just love mexican food and this is my sons favorite I just dont make it enough now you got me in the mood to do this again! thanks

Chelle B said...

Claudia - This dish makes me want to make it again and again.

Carolyn said...

Enchiladas are wonderful and easy enough to make a big pan at home and enjoy the leftovers for a long time!

Chelle B said...

Carolyn - We enjoyed leftovers for days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...