May 28, 2011

Popovers

Mr. Sideline Chef bought me a KitchenAid Stand Mixer for our first Christmas together along with a bunch of other kitchen items such as a toaster oven, ove-glove, and little odds and ends. That was over four years ago. In the box for the KitchenAid Stand Mixer was a spiral bound notebook with the instructions and recipes.

I never looked through the notebook until just this morning. 1) I already knew how to use the mixer thanks to my mama and 2) Before starting this blog I didn't do much cooking out of cookbooks. Instead I would use recipes I found off the Internet.

Having no new recipes lined up to make I decided to sit down and go through my stack of cookbooks. First on top was my KitchenAid instructions and recipes notebook. After flipping through the recipes I bookmarked the Popovers recipe since I had all of the ingredients on hand and they looked so darn delicious. I have never had a popover before. I was excited to try something new.

The smell of these babies baking in the oven is pure torture. Once out of the oven my first attempt at making them looked just like the picture in the book. Now if they tasted as good as they look it will be a complete success.

Hot out of the oven, broke open, steam rising, and enjoyed simply plain. Amazing! I had to coax itty bitty with a, "It tastes like a pancake," to get him to even try a bite. One bite was all it took for him and I to sit down and eat half the batch together. These would be delicious with butter, jam, peanut butter, or any other filling and are equally as delicious in a simple state too.

Why not start your Memorial Day weekend off right with a batch of these with breakfast? Hope everyone has a happy, healthy, and safe weekend. Let's not forget why we celebrate Memorial Day in the first place. I'd like to thank ALL of our military men and women. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Popovers
KitchenAid Stand Mixer: Instructions and Recipes
Makes 8 Popovers

Stars of the Show:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
And Action:

Place all the ingredients in mixer bowl. With wire whisk turn speed to 4 and beat 15 seconds. Stop and scrape sides of bowl down. Turn speed to 4 and beat 15 seconds more.

Fill 8 heavily greased and floured custard cups half full with batter. Place cups on cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in cold oven and set heat at 450 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 20-25 minutes longer. Remove from oven and cut slit into side of each popover. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 103
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 59 mg
Sodium: 115 mg

Marking #4 off  "Stir the Pot". 8 down, 16 to go.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Rochelle, these came out beautifully! They would make a yummy breakfast with a little jam. I could use one right now, thanks. Hey, love your blog button. I'm going to go put it on my blog now. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

TinaRBK said...

All the more reason I need a popover pan-not that I would have any place to put it in my tiny kitchen. This looks like a delicious elegant breakfast. Buzzed it.

Chelle B said...

Brenda - Thank you for putting my badge on your blog. I looked to see if you had one and I didn't see it. Am I missing it? I'd love to return the favor.

Tina - I didn't use a popover pan. I used ramekins. I've read that you can also use muffin pans.

The Country Cook said...

You did a fantastic job. I absolutely adore popovers!! Great recipe to use and I love the use of the ramekins too!

Chelle B said...

Brandie - Thank you! I couldn't believe how they turned out. I always second guess myself when I try a new recipe.

Lisa said...

Oh if only I had some sort of cups or something so that I could make those popovers. I've never had them before and they always sound so good.

Chelle B said...

Lisa - You sound just like how I was. I was so happy that when I came across this recipe again that I actually had the ramekins to use. They are really delicious.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad! I just tried this recipe exactly as it said and my popovers were like small biscuits :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...