March 25, 2011

Pineapple and Pork Tacos with Avocado Crema

Mamas really do know so much. During my check in call with my mama about how the Flat Belly Diet is going for her I asked if she knew how to speed up the ripening process for the avocado I just bought. "Put it in a brown paper bag overnight." Before starting this diet I wouldn't have even been able to do that considering the fact that I've never had reason to buy brown paper bags before.

I pulled out the brown paper bag (I have them for the Popcorn Drizzled with Chocolate.) and placed my bright green avocado in the bag before bed. I woke up this morning to a black skinned avocado that was slightly tender to the touch. Magic I tell you!

My sights have been set on making these tacos as long as that Chicken Pad Thai was. The reason I wanted to make these Pineapple and Pork Tacos with Avocado Crema was because when I was 13 years old my brother and his wife came to visit us. We decided to take a day trip and visit Multnomah Falls and then head to the Dalles for kite flying. After a couple hours of kite flying we decided it was time for lunch. My brother suggested a taco stand he knew of and I had my first ever tacos al pastor. The pork and pineapple were a memorable combination. I have not found a better place for that kind of taco since. I don't even recall the name of the place or where it was located exactly. What 10 years does to the memory! After filling our bellies on these tacos we finished the day out by touring the "Fruit Loop" and hitting up every produce stand we came across. I even had my first taste of blackberry soda. The bounty of produce and memories we walked away with that day was unforgettable.

When I was reading through the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook and came across the recipe I immediately bookmarked it. The flood of memories came back. I miss my brother and his wife terribly. Too many miles between us. They are quite a duo. Always a party when they are around. Cupcake and dance parties! You're sure to feel like you've had a great abdominal workout after a visit with them from all of the laughs. I love them both so very much!
These tacos are a tad bit time consuming to make. Took about 45 minutes to prepare but so worth it. The serving size of 3 tacos left me uncomfortably stuffed but in a good way. It was one of those meals you keep eating because the punishment tastes so good. I can't get over how filling the foods are on this diet. I'm about an hour away from my next meal time and not even hungry yet.

Pan searing the pork tenderloin kept the cooking lean and it also intensified the sweetness of the pineapple. The pork was flavored beautifully and the ground cumin really stood out. The avocado crema was cool and refreshing. Next time I would leave out the sour cream though. I want to be able to taste the avocado (one of my favorite foods and I like to really taste it) and I felt the sour cream took over. I try to like corn tortillas because I knew they are a better choice but I still can't really say I'm crazy over them. With that all said these tacos truly were outstanding and packed a flavor punch. They are crave worthy. I think when I reheat the leftovers I will bake the corn tortillas into chips instead and make these as nachos. After the diet though I will use flour tortillas for the tacos.

These are a must try!

Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 12 oz pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 fresh pineapple, cored and sliced crosswise
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • 12 corn tortillas (6" diameter), warmed according to package directions
  • 1 avocado, mashed
  • 2 tbsp fat free sour cream
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/8 tsp salt
And Action:

To prepare the pork and pineapple: In a one-cup measuring cup mix the sugar, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, pepper, and salt. Mix half of the spices with the pork and toss with the oil. I did this in a ziploc bag. Mix the remaining spices with the pineapple. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.

Prepare the avocado crema while the pork sits. Mix the avocado, sour cream, lime juice, and salt in a small bowl.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil spray and heat over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the pork and cook, turning a couple of times, for 8 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Add the cilantro and toss to combine. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely to keep warm.

Add the pineapple to the pan and cook, turning a couple of times, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Remove from the heat.

Assemble the tacos by placing 3 tortillas on each plate. Divide the pork and pineapple between each tortilla. Top with the avocado crema. Roll 'em up and enjoy!

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
MUFA: Avocado
Calories: 420
Protein: 24 g
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Fat: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 310 mg
Fiber: 9 g

6 days down, 26 to go!!!

4 comments:

Food Frenzy said...

I like the idea of using pork instead of chicken in this recipe. By the way, the pork looks really good in your photos. Thanks for sharing.

Ang said...

Jessica these look fantastic. Mmmm the flavors, and it seems so fresh all at the same time.

Hey, I do have an award for you waiting on my site. Your my kind of blogger and I love that you have your family and how important it is to you. Your an amazing cook. Keep up the good work now, and after the diet:)

Chelle B said...

Ang - It's Rochelle! Haha! Jessica is a lady who is working on my website at the moment so I have her as a site contributor right now. I will check out the award and a big thank you for thinking of me!

Chelle B said...

Food Frenzy - I am looking forward to linking up more recipes! I love having a new site to check out what's cooking in other foodie kitchens!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...