February 12, 2011

Sweet and Peppery Bacon

The only way to describe this Sweet and Peppery Bacon is candy for breakfast. What better way to take something already not so good for you and make it even worse? By sprinkling it with brown sugar and letting it roast in the oven to get a caramelized peppery crust. Heavenly!

The black pepper to brown sugar ratio is one to one. When I mixed the two and sprinkled the bacon with the mix I second guessed myself and figured the pepper was going to be overpowering for itty bitty to eat. I kept a piece plain just in case so itty bitty could still have something to go along with his breakfast.

While in the oven this smelled like how I envision Paula Deen's home to smell. Bacon and sweetness. It was such a divine smell. If I could bottle that smell I would.

When I pulled the baking sheet out of the oven I was giddy! First bite and all of my doubt melted away. Not overpowered by black pepper. Perfection. Tasted like candied bacon. Breakfast has never tasted so good. I can't wait to make this again along side those Cream Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Yukon Gold Potatoes Sauteed in Clarified Butter. That would be the perfect Valentine's Day breakfast. Why not go ahead and eat some of those Peanut Butter Truffles while you're at it?

MyRecipes.com and All You, December 2010
Makes 24 slices bacon

Stars of the Show:
  • 24 slices bacon
  • 2 to 3 tbsp black pepper
  • 2 to 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
And Action:

Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil. Mist the foil with cooking spray. Arrange half the bacon slices in a single layer on the foil and sprinkle with half the brown sugar mixture. Roast for 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet from the oven and place bacon on a paper towel lined plate. Pour the grease out of the tray and then repeat with the remaining bacon. Any leftover bacon can be wrapped in plastic wrap and reheated in the microwave. Leftovers? Puh-lease!

Culinary Smackdown Battle... interested in a little challenge? Please check it out and link your recipe. I would love for any and everyone to participate and look forward to seeing what you link, tasting, judging, and then picking a winner. Submit your recipe by February 27th, 2011 because Mr. Sideline Chef and I will be announcing the winner the following morning. Best of luck!

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

This looks so wonderful! Little know and little admitted fact about me--I CANNOT cook bacon in a skillet. I keep trying, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the oven method right now. With this delicious recipe, the oven method seems like a pretty good thing!

Chelle B said...

Kelsey - Then this recipe is for you! Haha! I really love the oven method and this was my first time doing it that way. So easy and delicious.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Be still my heart....I love bacon and this bacon is just over the top!! wow, please send some right over!
Dennis

Chelle B said...

Chef Dennis - My heart pitter pattered as well. Haha! This bacon truly is over the top.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...